Saturday, January 22, 2011

A bazillion followers...is that the goal?

Earlier this week I joined Bloggy Moms. It seemed like a neat way to connect with other moms who blog. I was looking to find bloggers who were similar to me. And I did. Several, in fact. It is nice to know that I am not alone in feeling frustrated about my family's lack of help around the house, that I can share the joy my girls bring me, and that, through my "teaching" blog, I can offer helpful advice to teacher and parents of middle school kids.

Last night, in order to continue fostering those new relationships, I left several comments on the new blogs I am following. But I was disappointed to see a pattern emerge. A lot of comments people left were simply statements that they were now following the blog and wishing the writer to follow their blog back. There was no engagement with the content of the blog. In fact, I was a bit saddened that I received one of these comments on my post about my grandmother, who had recently passed away. How do you leave a comment on a post like that without acknowledging the writer's sorrow?

The number of followers I have does not concern me. I would rather have 5 followers who continually engage with the content of my posts rather than 100 who just "followed" my blog so I would follow them back. I have no interest in following coupon blogs, give-away blogs, or blogs by new moms. Don't get me wrong, those blogs have their niche and they may be very well written. But I don't use coupons, I don't have time for entering a thousand give-aways, and I am so far past the new-mom phase of life that I am probably closer to being a grandma (not for several more years yet, ok G and Lili?) Yet, I feel guilty when those bloggers follow me and I know they expect a follow back.

But I don't have time to read all the blogs on the web. I don't have time to read 1/1000000000 of them, I'm sure. So I hope that the people who follow my blogs are truly interested in what I have to say, that they comment and share their similar experiences and stories, and that they aren't offended when their blog is not one that appeals to me. Because my time is way too value to have to sift through my google reader, trying to remember which blogs I followed because I wanted to and which I followed out of a sense of duty.

5 comments:

  1. LeeAnn, I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandmother. What you wrote about her was absolutely beautiful! I'm sorry that someone was so callous :(

    I kind of don't understand the point of following blogs. I READ several blogs, but I'm not an official follower of any of them. I like to just go when I want to, and read them, and comment on them, and not feel like it's some sort of popularity contest to see who gets the most followers. I'm happy when people follow my blogs... but just as you said, I'd much rather have people who are truly interested and engaged, and are not just following me to get a follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just so you know, when I do have a chance to read blogs, I very much enjoy what you have to say! tell me about boggy moms...I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jen-thanks for your sweet comment. :) I am glad to know I am not alone in my thinking. And I'm glad that you link your blog to your facebook; I do love to read your posts. They always make me reflect.

    @Denise-thank you! I do so know what you mean about having a chance to read! And I am always checking to see when you have a new post go up. :) Bloggy Moms (click the link in the post) is a ning where you can join different groups to "meet" other moms who blog and share your interests. I joined the Android Moms group, the Michigan group, a teacher group and a writers workshop group. I don't have a lot of time to hang out there, and like I said, it seems like a lot of women go there just to rack up followers, but it's still kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leeann!
    I don't get the goal of getting as many followers as you can either. I have a handful of blogs that I follow, mostly friends IRL or other moms of multiples.
    I like comments left on my blog more than the amount of followers.
    This is my first time in awhile that I've stopped by your blog and will need to more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LeeAnn, I lost my grandmother two years ago and actually received similar treatment about it from my boss at work!!! I would totally (in any setting) prefer to have heartfelt interaction rather than a montage of 'followers' (clique?). I joined Bloggy Moms for much the same reason as you, and have been just as disappointed from the lack of engagement between blogs. I thought it was me and my lack of 'know-how' on the blog scene, but perhaps not! I am thankful to have you as a follower though, and appreciate your comments on my posts. I am looking forward to reading more from your blogs and your comments! Happy Hump Day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete